North Duffield Conservation and Local History Society

Home Conservation History Archaeology Events Gallery Links Contacts Feedback Archive

History


The first documentary evidence of the existence of the village was in the Domesday Book ordered by William the Conqueror and it was clear from this entry that Nort Duffelt, as it was then called, was already in existence at that time.


More recently evidence in marks in the field give hints of Iron Age occupation and Roman pottery and coins turning up in the fields, open  a tantalising window on the earliest occupants.


For more information navigate the sections under the History tab.

1960's aerial view of post office, old school and Cart & Horse public house

Early photo of Main Street

Ploughing 19thC

Above 1924 map

Left 1824 map